Street Child Discussion Questions:
Chapter 13 'The Lily':
- What was the real reason people's boot-laces often break when they are standing in queues?
- What is ‘The Lily’?
- After his first day working for Nick, what did Jim dream of?
Chapter 14 'The Waterman's Arms' and Chapter 15 'Josh':
“Before he was halfway through it the noises around him softened to murmurs and spread across a wide, dark sea, lapping as quiet as long ago.” What is happening to Jim at this point?
What is Jim’s dream?
What were the water men all racing to find first?
Chapter 16 'Boy In Pain' and Chapter 17 The Monster Weeps':
- Why did Jim not eat the meat Nick had given to him? Explain your answer.
- How long had Jim been living with Nick before he tried to escape?
- How did Nick ensure that Jim would be unable to escape again?
- At the end of chapter 17, what happens to Nick?
Chapter 18 'You Can Do It, Bruvver', Chapter 19 'Away' and Chapter 20 'The Green Caravan':
- At what time of year was the miner’s pageant held?
- How did Jim cut the rope around his neck?
- What did Jim do to trap Snipe and Nick on the boat as he ran away?
- Do you think Jim feels guilty? Explain your opinion.
- Why doesn’t Jim tell Madame Juglini that he does know how to sew?
Chapter 21 'Circus Boy', Chapter 22 'On The Run Again' and Chapter 23 'Shrimps Again':
- Who did Jim see Madame Juglini receive a coin off and why did he run away?
- Why did Jim steal from the woman on the farm rather than asking for help?
- What were the only two things that Jim had to call his own?
Chapter 24 'Looking For A Doctor' and Chapter 25 'The Ragged School':
- Why do you think Shrimps is so afraid to go to the hospital?
- What meal did Shrimps describe as a feast?
- Do you think the lady with the coffee cart is right to not leave her stall to help shrimps? Use evidence from the text to support your opinion.
- “He reached out and felt for the boy’s hand. It was cold.” What has happened to Shrimps?
Chapter 26 'Goodbye, Bruvver':
- Why does Jim start to think he’d be better off at the workhouse?
- What does Jim do to show respect to Shrimps when he has to leave him?
Chapter 27 'Barnie' and the ‘More Than A Story’:
- Why did Jim finally decide to go to the Ragged School?
- Why does Jim duck his head down after seeing who Barnie is?
- How do you think this story could be seen as uplifting and positive?