Community Cohesion and Rights Respecting School Squad
Our school’s Community Cohesion group consists of 20 children (one from each class). The aim of the group is to maintain relationships internationally. We also aim to maintain the communication between the children and the schools in the connecting areas. A further target for this year is to develop the awareness of Community Cohesion across the school. Currently, we have communication links with schools in Mumbai, Zambia, Kazakhstan, and Palestine. The children are also eager to meet new schools to expand our communication opportunities.
The role of a Community Cohesion Officer is to:
- Be an example to other pupils
- Maintain the school noticeboard
- Help organise letter writing to other schools.
- Communicate with their year groups about the relationships we are building with other schools.
- Allow young people to be role models.
- To promote building relationships internationally.
- To work as a team and to make decisions collaboratively.
- To explore how different schools are established.
Rights Respecting School Squad
The Rights Respecting School squad works closely alongside the Community Cohesion officers to support and nurture our pupils to become role models and young citizens that can educate and inform others. The aim of our squad is to create a community where the UNICEF 'Rights of the child' are learned, taught, practised, respected, protected and promoted. We do this through having regular meetings with the squad, promoting UNICEF's 'Article of the Week' and having weekly 'Picture News' assemblies which raises issues and promotes events that are happening, not only in the wider community but around the world. We link these to individuals rights, responsibilities, and moral values in order to prepare our pupils for modern Britain.
The role of the Rights Respecting School Squad:
* Promote the work of UNICEF
* Engage with the community to create awareness.
* Discuss current issues and events around the world to think about opportunities where we can help, support and fundraise.
* Liase with the Community Cohesion officers.