Committee Aims Statement for Junior Road Safety Officers
Junior Road Safety Officers are a group of year 5 children with a keen interest in keeping people safe on the roads and travelling to and from school. They meet once every 3 weeks to discuss road safety awareness, healthy travel choices and positive ways of promoting this using assemblies, competitions and fun activities to keep people involved.
The role of a Junior Road Safety Officer is to:
· For young people to be positive role models
· To give young people the opportunity to be part of a team and make decisions
· To enable young people to act as ambassadors of “active” travel (walking, cycling, scooting etc) by promoting its benefits in terms of health, independence and the environment.
· To involve young people in promoting road safety to their peers by encouraging them to behave responsibly near roads and set a good example.
· To empower young people by giving them a ‘voice’ and build their personal confidence, experience and skills.
· To encourage young people to keep safe on the roads and understand the dangers
· For young people to have fun when learning about road safety
Junior Road Safety Officers 2019/20: